Saturday, January 26, 2013

Background Painter: Scott Wills

Scott Wills is a background painter whose work includes some really iconic pieces for Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Samurai Jack and Ren and Stimpy, amongst many more.  As you'll see, so much of the style of those series is actually a result of the uniquely distinctive background art.

All the pieces below are painted traditionally using acrylic and gouache, often at a very small scale.







You can see more of Scott's amazing work on his blog at: Candy Cane Land

12 comments:

  1. Staggeringly good... I could spend days digging through the treasure on his blog, and likely will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was thinking the same :/ I think it's Wills as stated on his blog, I hope they correct this small mistake to prevent further confusion :).

      Delete
    2. Thanks for catching that... it was a long night.

      Delete
  3. Wowowow wait a sec...you're telling us that stuff is painted on such a small scale and then used in animations!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of Scott's work.

    I think you should talk Scott into being a contributor on Muddy Colors!....now that is the best idea I've heard all year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Samurai Jack was one of my favourite shows growing up. I still have the dvd sets sitting next to me right now. I guess that says how young I am :P

    Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I'm inspired!!! And I have a new desktop background :-P Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the trees for my desktop background. I am amazed at the sense of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eyes hurt just thinking about painting on such a small scale! I browsed through CandyCaneLane and I'm floored! Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks for introducing him to us, Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this dude!!! the god of background painting for sure, the samurai jack pieces are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search