Friday, May 10, 2013

Cartoon face coloring

-By Serge Birault

Here's a small video process. A lot of people asked me for videos, so let's go ... It's just the way I work to paint a cartoon face. I only used the soft round brush, I changed the opacity of the brush very often. It's an A3 canevas, in 300 dpi.

Sorry for the crappy quality of the video but I didn't find the way to upload the videos in HD here, That's why I put the links on facebook. Choose "HD" option on the player ...

By the way, I uploaded all the videos on Vimeo here :

Step 1 : Sketching

Quick sketch in two steps on two different layers.

Step 2 : Lights

I choosed the background color and the light first. The sketch is on a "multiply" layer. I only use the soft round brush here ...

Step 3 : Cleaning

I use to do very precise picture because a lot of my works have to be printed in very big size.

Step 4 : Skin texture

I use the "dry brush" (a standard brush in PS) for the skin texture ...


  1. It's amazing! thanks for these videos, you're really good!
    Great post! I like it!

  2. Thanks a ton for these!!! I've always wanted to take a look on your workflow, this will help a lot.

  3. Me encanta la técnica y aun mas el resultado, parece tan fácil! Ahora a intentarlo!

  4. Awesome as usual! Thanks so much for sharing!

  5. This is great! Please make more!

  6. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time
    Cartoon coloring