Friday, September 6, 2013

Little Paintings

By Petar Meseldzija


I am sorry, but I still have nothing important, or smart to say… I am still contemplating my career, analyzing my achievements and failures, and thinking about how to improve my work. In the meantime I draw and paint, beside a number of other activities.

I wanted to show you a few little paintings I did recently. They are about 15 X 17 cm big (6 X 6 3/4  inch), which is a pretty small size for me. These little pieces are often created in about 4 hours. Although I use some photo reference for inspiration, there are no preparatory drawings included in the process. I usually make a very rough pencil sketch directly on the painting surface, and then I start painting, hoping to surprise myself pleasantly with something nice and unexpected at the end of the painting session. Therefore, while working on these pieces, I try not to be too serious or pretentious, as it is often the case with my bigger paintings. Instead I try to have fun.


Eowyn the Brave


Blue Giant


Queen Maggie Blue

10 comments:

  1. I love how you use the texture of the brushstrokes to really establish the planes of your figures. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... brushstrokes and describing the form…one of the old tricks :-) It took me years to learn it.

      Delete
  2. I love some of the "imperfections" that you gave them, the uneven lips, multi colored eyes etc. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little imperfections are an important element of the “story”, as well as the title of the painting, which clarifies the context. Nothing big, nothing special, no explicit weirdness, not even a joke…just a little, subtle twist… This is a new territory for me. I have just started to experiment with that.

      Delete
  3. I like them Petar....a lot! Keep them coming. You might not feel you have anything to "say", but visually we hear you loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, I do intend to keep them coming … And if you can “hear” me visually, both of us should be happy :-)

      Delete
  4. Large or small you are a master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, while replying to the second comment, I was thinking of you, especially in connection to the sentence “…This is a new territory for me…” In fact I almost wrote down “ But Bill Carman is really good in that…”
      I will miss you at Illuxcon, Bill!

      Delete
  5. I love them Petar! It's wonderful to see how much you are able to tell about each character with these small portraits alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you think so, Staffan! After all, one of my main objectives was not only to paint an interesting little picture, but to tell a story about each character through the use of just a few details.

      Delete