Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Goblin Diplomats

By Jesper Ejsing


This magic card illustration, called Goblin Diplomats, features a bunch of goblins taunting the enemy, teasing him to attack.

The assignment was: a bunch of goblins making rude gestures, provoking the spectator. BUT the gestures could not be our-worldly and no genitals. That sort of left me in the total dark. 97% of what I could come up with was indeed in the forbidden category. So I started posing myself getting into the mood, Some of the photos I used for reference in sketching this heap of rude faces.

As soons as I thought of the winking hands with the thumb in the ear, it just did not feel very much like something a Goblin would do. “But what if he used somebody else's hands? arhhhh; bIngo” Human cut-off hands in another skintone. That is a nasty little twist.

I seldom do close ups, so this was a great opportunity for me to try some texture in skin tones that would add interest.

Last thing I tried was a dark background. I often use a light background to firmly silhouette the figure, but in this case I thought it would be perfect for the illusion of mass and multitude, if the faces emerged out of darkness



Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search