Saturday, August 1, 2015

Joe Golem #1 start to finish

-By David Palumbo

Here is a quick step-by-step on a typical job for me, from thumbs to finish:


The first thing I do is thumbnail.  Depending on the assignment this can be anywhere from two to 12 pages like these above.  I'm in a loose frame of mind thinking entirely about shape and message.  This particular cover was to be the first in a series and the publisher (Dark Horse Comics) wanted to have a pulpy sort of vibe.  In the story, our hero is a hard boiled detective type who faces off against a big green skinned monster in a version of Earth where mid-20th century Manhattan is half underwater.  I keyed in mostly on the sinking city and the detective being stalked by the monster.



These three sketches were done 4x6 inches each in oil, choosing what I felt were the most promising roughs and developing them.  These were all aided by some form of photo referencing.  I sent this batch in and received notes to push the pulp further, as well as stick a snub nose in Joe's hand and a fedora on his head...

The editor liked this one and gave me the green light to move to finish.

My reference had already been shot during the sketch process, so I was able to dive straight into painting.  I printed up my ref and my sketch at the size I would be working to help keep the arrangement accurate as I redrew it onto the full sized panel.  I believe that I projected this as well when scaling up, though I may have just hand measured and eyeballed.  I tend to switch that up depending how I'm feeling.

With the underpainting dry, I washed in some thin colors and set straight into defining the focal areas




I'm bouncing back and forth a bit between figure and background, letting one inform where the other needs to go




With the piece finished, I did a bit of cleanup and color correcting in Lightroom and Photoshop and sent it in.  My editor asked if we could kick the saturation up a bit further so I did some more color tweaking, pumped up the green on the hands, and increased the lantern glow.

And here is the finished piece!

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search