Friday, April 29, 2016

A Palette Three Ways

-By Howard Lyon


I have been doing a lot of studies and portraits lately with a palette, for the flesh, limited to Flake or Titanium White, Vermillion, Yellow Ochre and Ivory Black.  I have also been experimenting with converting my photo reference to a black and white image and inventing, or looking at old masters as a guide for skin tones.  I have been doing weekly paintings from life in my studio (3 hour sessions every Wednesday night if you are in town), and learning a lot about painting flesh.  This is of course the best way to learn to paint people, from life, but I also think there is value in having to invent, based on experience.

Here are a few examples along with a couple time-lapses.  That seems to be my thing lately.  I find a learn a bit after the fact by watching the process playback.

All three of these palettes used the palette I mentioned above and Phthalo Blue for the backgrounds and the green of the leaves in the floral crown.

For the painting below, I worked from a black and white image and had paintings by Jean-Baptiste Greuze up to try and learn a little about his approach to skin.

Meghan, 8" x 10" oil on aluminum panel
This next painting was done the same way, from a black and white image, and is of the same model, but this time I referenced several heads by Bouguereau.  I have a long way to go to paint like either Greuze or Bouguereau, but I felt like I learned a lot trying to apply their colors.

Meghan II, 8" x 10" oil on aluminum panel
 This last painting was done using the color that I obtained from the photoshoot, but pushing the temperatures a little more.

Rebecca, 11" x 14" oil on aluminum panel
Here are a couple time-lapses of the paintings above.



Thanks for taking a look.  I regularly post images from my weekly portrait sessions as well as studies like these on my Instagram account if you are interested.

Howard

Website
Instagram
Twitter

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search